It’s March now…time for a progress check. Here are my resolutions for 2017, and where I’m at:
- To write and submit stories and poems. I haven’t published anything in a full year.
I had a poem accepted a couple of weeks ago. I earned pro pay, too. It’s funny; I’d trunked that poem in 2013 after a few rejections from lower-tier magazines, and then I tweaked it a bit and sent it to a pro-paying magazine and it got in.
- To lose weight. I need to lose at least ten more pounds, preferably 20. I know everyone makes this resolution but (a) I have blood glucose issues, so it’s particularly important, and (b) I’ve already lost 30 lbs and kept it off, so it’s possible.
I’ve lost a few pounds, mainly because I got sick and lost my appetite for a few weeks.
- To exercise more.
No progress yet, unfortunately. I do try to walk more, inspired by Pokemon Go. But I do less cardio, so it’s a wash.
- To use my iPhone less. I feel like I’m getting addicted to it, and I don’t like the feeling. WhatsApp takes time away from my kids, and it breaks my concentration and ability to focus on things.
I’m trying. I still waste a ton of time, but I try to spend that time writing fiction, instead.
- To network more and be more aggressive with regard to my career. I am an introvert who hates self-promotion, and hates conflict more. The problem is that people around me aren’t like that.
Working on it.
- To spend more time reading to my kids.
Working on it. I love reading myself, but I get so bored sometimes reading the same stories, slowly, at a three year old’s pace, over and over. Still, I try. I am Sam. Sam I am. *sigh*